Deputy Minister of International Relations and Co-operation of the Republic of South Africa
Profile: Ms Susan
van der Merwe
- Date of Birth: 29 May
- Pastimes: Cooking, aerobics, running.
- Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic
of South Africa since 29 April 2004.
- Member of Parliament for the African
National Congress (ANC) (1996 to date).
- Completed Matric at Collegiate High School,
Port Elizabeth (1971).
- Bachelor of Arts degree, University of Cape Town
- Coordinator for the Black Sash Advice Office in
Cape Town (1988 - 1991).
- Participant in Mont Fleur Scenario Planning
Exercise (1991 - 1993).
- Executive Assistant for the Open Society Foundation
for South Africa (1993 - 1995).
- Member of the Board of Directors of UMAC
(Non-Governmental Organisation working in Western and Eastern Cape) (1992 - 2002).
- Trustee, South African Wine Industries Trust (1999 - 2001).
Counsellor to the President (2001 - 2004).
- The ANC Whip (1999 - 2000).
- Served as member of the following committees, Portfolio Committee on
Finance, Communication and Environment and Tourism; and Joint Standing Committee